Thursday, October 6, 2011

2011 Scotiabank Nuit Blanche



Once again I went to the annual Scotiabank Nuit Blanche event. This year I started with my cousin David. He was in town for our grandmother's funeral. This is something I normally don't do. Besides the first year when I went out with a group I've always gone solo. It's just easier to take photos when I'm on my own I find.

We arrived downtown at about quarter to 7:00 and parked at my church. As in previous years we were blessed with dry weather. The temperatures were cool though with a low of 5C predicted. I wore my winter jacket and a warm hat to fend of the cold.

The nearest installation to our church was B16 at the Art Gallery of Ontario. It was called The Other Painting Competition and like the name states was a competition between different artists. Over the course of the evening they would paint different subjects and be judged to see who was the best.

The most elaborate set up was Flightpath Toronto at Nathan Phillips Square. As well as a laser light show they had a series of towers set up where people could get hooked up to lines strung between them and go for a ride.

My favorite types of installations involve those with colourful lights. There were quite a few of them of course.

As well, C9, Soon, at Commerce Court courtyard was neat. It was big and loud. It consisted of a bunch of floodlights following people on the ground with the soundtrack of what sounded like army choppers blasting through speakers.

The atmosphere is always quite lively. A lot of people roaming the streets having fun. It's surprising how many young people were out.

I didn't stay out as late as previous years. This year I packed it in at 4:15 a.m. I took a lot of pictures like I always do. Check my Flickr.com page soon to see them. I still have to go through quite a few of them though.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I'm Mik, miklos@sympatico.ca

    I would like to use a few of your photos for a page on the Nuit Blanche piece, New Dawn Fades. No bucks, but we can give you credit.

    I've set up the page, take a look and let me know, otherwise I'll have to remove the images without permission

    http://www.ccca.ca/nuitblanche/nuitblanche2011/artists/images/bartosik/index.html

    ReplyDelete