Friday, August 12, 2011

BBQ at Daryl's Place

Grace, Maria (?), Daryl, Sasha

Daryl invited a few of us up to his place in Markham for a potluck BBQ dinner. I know him through Tom who I play hockey with in the winter. Daryl and I car pooled it up to Bracebridge for our cottage/zip-lining adventure.

Tom and Florianne were the first people to arrive along with their friend Jo Woo. She's an artist from Korea who will actually be going back pretty soon. I was next followed by Denise and Lena. I would have arrived earlier had I not witnessed an accident at the Superstore at Don Mills and Eglinton. I stopped there to buy some pies to bring up to Daryl's place.

As I was making my way through the store this fellow around my age slipped on some water that had accumulated on the floor next to a freezer. I guess it wasn't working properly and the food in it had started to defrost leaving water on the floor. As he was walking by he didn't notice it and slipped on the floor landing very hard flat on his back (probably hitting his head too).

He was a bit dizzy after he got up and said he felt nauseous as well. A few of us saw the whole thing. I waited around until the assistant manager came and wrote out what I had seen on a piece of paper along with my contact info. I sure hope the guy will be okay. I told him he should go to the hospital to get himself checked out just in case.

Anyway, back at Daryl's place people started arriving "fashionably late". Tom worked his magic on the BBQ and people were chatting on the deck in the backyard. We ate our dinner there even sitting through a light rain shower. It was only when the light started to fall and the mosquitos came out that we headed indoors.

Back inside I brought my nephews' Camouflage game out. It's a puzzle game where you have to fit six tiles (with polar bears and fish on them) onto different backgrounds that have snow and water printed in various patterns on them. The polar bears have to land on the snow and the fish in the water. There are 48 levels. It can get quite difficult once you make your way up to the higher levels.

Throughout the evening most people got a chance to play at least once. I know they all got a kick out of it. Everyone likes a challenge and the chance to outdo one another. I have to say, Daryl's brother was quite good. I think he was one of the ones who had the most success.

No comments:

Post a Comment