Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lawrence's Father



My friend Lawrence's father passed away this past Thursday (Remembrance Day). He had been battling diabetes among other things. I knew he had been unwell, but I didn't know to what extent. So it was surprise to me when Lawrence phoned to tell me the news.

The viewing was on Sunday. I went in the evening with my friend Daphne because I had to go to the boarding home to volunteer in the afternoon. We met many of Lawrence's relatives from various parts of the U.S. there. They're all very nice. I also saw a number of my church friends. Some from CPC and some from RHCCC. A few of us went to dinner afterwards at Congee Queen (pictured above - from left to right: Jason, Dickie, Steve, Big John, me and Perry).

The funeral was yesterday (Monday, November 15th, 2010). It was held at the Turner & Porter Funeral Home, Butler Chapel on Dundas Street West, near Burnhamthrope Road. I took the TTC there. It's not much more than 5 minute's walk from Islington Station.

I had never met Lawrence's family (parents or sister) before. From what the presiding pastor said, David Chui, was a really good man. He was a social worker who volunteered in helping with the less fortunate whenever he had the opportunity to do so. My condolences go out to Lawrence, his mother, sister and relatives. I know Mr. Chui will be missed by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment