Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cursed Backyard for Birds



I think my sister's house may be cursed if you're of the avian variety. First it was the hard luck Cardinals. Now it's another bird I found injured in her backyard (which my sister discovered is a Northern Flicker Woodpecker).

I came upon it while checking an area for these vine-type weeds I had pulled up earlier in the week. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed something in a patch of dirt by one of the big trees in the back. It was a little lump lying on the ground. I had an idea that it might be a bird. But, I thought it was probably dead when I went over for a closer look.

To my surprise it was very alive. But, it was lying on its back with it's feet in the air. Kind of like it was resting. But, of course, birds don't rest in that position. Nor do they stay put when approached by anything that looks like it may harm them.

But, this bird lay helpless on the ground. It did move a bit when I moved closer. I'm sure it was trying to get away, but for some reason it couldn't. I went up to the front of the house and grabbed a blue bin I had filled with yard waste. It was filled soft leaves and branches and stuff like that. I figure it would make a nice bed for the bird to rest in while I figured out what to do. I didn't want to leave it lying on the ground for any extended length of time. That just wouldn't be wise.

I scooped the bird up with a little plastic shovel and dumped him amongst the cut foliage. He protested a bit, but that was expected. He squished himself into a corner of the blue bin and tried to hide. Poor little fellow. I put the blue bin by the back door and went in the house to tell my sister what had happened.

After a bit of discussion we couldn't agree what to do with him. I thought the bird needed some time to rest and recover. I wanted to put him somewhere high so he would be safe outside overnight.

What I ended up doing was placing him (still in the blue box filled with leaves and stuff) on a little patio table on the back deck. I figure if one of the neighbourhood cats happened by it wouldn't be able to climb up the table because it's top was too small.

After I had put the blue box on the table I went back into the house to look for a camera. Even though I didn't want to upset the little bird I still thought it would be nice to have a picture of it. Well, when we went back out my sister discovered it lying on it's back on the deck. It had somehow managed to hop out of the blue box, but was back in the same position I first found it in.

I think it somehow had injured it's wings. We turned him right side up again and he managed to hop around a bit. But, he couldn't get off the ground. I wanted to put him back in the blue box, but he hopped to the back edge of the deck and plopped about 6-feet down to the ground landing on his back again (dumb bird).

We put him back on his feet again and he hopped to the far side (front) of the underside of the deck and tried to hide. Rather than freak him out again we decided to leave him there.

I went home shortly after that.

Later in the evening my sister when out to check on him again. Guess what?... He was on his back again. She flipped him over and went back in.

This happened one more time (at least). My last update was at about 11:00 p.m. I don't know what going to happen to that dumb birdy by morning. I just hope the little feller is alright.

Latest update from my sister: Sad News - So I just went outside and found the bird dead. It was just between the stone patio and the deck. I was out there yesterday and didn't see it. At least the animals didn't get to it. I have a bird book, and it was a Northern Flicker woodpecker. They actually spend most of their time on the ground, hopping around looking for ants to eat. Oh well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I had one run into my slider yesterday. I followed him wobbling around the yard for a very long time. When we found him he was pressed up against the slider. He did keep trying to get away but I managed to get the camera and get great shots. I watched him for a while. Since it was the 3rd of July and family party that day, we had to leave. I have gone back to the parts of the woods where I last saw him and he's gone. So I hope her flew away. But one eye was building. He really hit hard. But thanks to your exact photo I now know what it is :) Angie Christine of Your Happy Hearts.com and Tuff Phit.com

    ReplyDelete