Thursday, August 26, 2010

Another visit to the Museum



I went to the Royal Ontario Museum this past Wednesday. During the summer it's free from 3:00-5:30 p.m. My friend, Fiona, went the week before. As like she mentioned to me the line outside to get in was quite long.

When I got there at ten to 3:00 the line up was already around the building (from the main entrance on Bloor) part way down Queen's Park Circle. I ended up standing in front of the old main entrance which is opposite the Gardiner Ceramic Museum across the street. Once they started letting people in the line did move fairly quickly. I think I got in by around 3:20.

Now I had gone once before when it was free last year. But, that time I was only interested in seeing the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal which I had never seen before. This time I wanted to see everything else I missed.

When I went in I grabbed the museum visitor guide with the layout of the entire building. But, I must be dumb or, at the very least, quite impatient. Because for the most part I couldn't be bothered to read it. I just ran around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to take pictures of whatever looked interesting to me.

I have to say, a lot of the time I was pretty much lost. There didn't seem to be much flow to the layout of the building. It's just a weird shape as far as I'm concerned. Excluding the Crystal the original building seems to be "H"-shaped. As well, there were certain sections that were closed off because they were being prepped for future exhibits. So you couldn't always go through. I often found myself doubling back in order to get somewhere else I wanted to go.

All-in-all I think I got some pretty decent photos though. I'll post them on Flickr.com and Facebook.com . Take a look there in the not too distant future and you'll see them.

And, if you're free next Wednesday afternoon (September 1st, 2010), take advantage of the last day they're opening free early (at 3:00). After that I believe they'll be returning to opening only for an hour for free from 4:30-5:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment