Saturday, July 10, 2010

My Trip to Sarnia



I went to Sarnia, Ontario recently. My aunt and uncle from New York were visiting, so we packed up the car and drove out there with my mom and grandma. My aunt and my mother spent their teenage years there. It was my first time there as an adult.

Our first stop on our trip was the cemetery. I know it's an odd place to start, but my grandfather and uncle (both of whom I never met) are buried there. Whenever my mom, grandmother and aunt go there I think it's the first place they head to.

After that we toured the city. First we went to Cantara Park. They have a beach there among other things. There were a few people sunbathing and some young people playing volleyball, but it wasn't too crowded. We had lunch at one of the picnic tables there then continued looking around.

Next stop was Point Edward Park and the Blue Water toll bridge to the U.S. I didn't know Sarnia was right on the border of Lake Huron and Michigan state. But, you could see the bridge over to Michigan from here.

After that we went into town. We found the church that my mother used to go to when she lived here. It's called St. Andrew's Presbyterian church and it's on Christina Street, right beside city hall.

Next we headed a bit south and found the spot where their family restaurant used to be. There's a parking lot there now. I guess that's progress for you.

Nearby Sarnia Collegiate Institute where my mom and aunt went to high school followed. Lastly we went to their old family home (where the above shot was taken). I believe they last lived there some 40-50 odd years ago.

All-in-all it was pretty cool visiting these places with my aunt, mom and grandmother. I managed to capture it all digitally with my camera for posterity's sake. I'm sure they were happy about that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment