Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Toronto - Traveling TO with Fiona


I've spent the last few days touring the city with my friend Vincent's cousin, Fiona, from Australia. It's been pretty fun. Of course I've been to most places here already, but we did make a couple of stops to places I haven't been to or seen in awhile.

One place we walked through was Cabbagetown. I haven't really taken the time to look through there before. We tried to visit the Riverdale Zoo/Farm, but it was closed when we dropped by. If I've been there before it was probably many, many years ago when I was a kid.

Last Thursday, on Canada Day, we visited the Beaches and the Distillery District. Since it was a holiday the Beaches was packed. Parking spots were at a premium. I was fortunate enough to be able to park at a church friend's home (Ray and Cathy) who live down there.

Fiona and I walked the boardwalk and had lunch at the Sunset Grill. I had eggs, toast and home fries which was actually part of their all-day breakfast menu. After that we headed over to the Distillery District for about 40 minutes before zipping by Vince's parents' place to pick them up and head up to Vince and Linda's place for Canada Day dinner.

On Saturday Fiona and I got a TTC Day Pass. It's good for unlimited rides on the bus, subway or streetcar for two people on holidays and weekends. So it's a pretty good deal at $10.

We started at Harbourfront. There were some tallships there for the weekend. We took the streetcar back to Union Station and did a walk through next. Then we headed across the street to check out the lobby of the Royal York Hotel. I think it was the first time I've taken shots in there. Next we strolled through Brookfield (formerly BCE) Place and snapped a few photos before walking to Toronto City Hall next to check it out. The new rooftop garden was open there. I believe it was my first time ever up there. I'm pretty sure it was never open to the public before. So that was a new experience for me again. I had planned on walking along Queen West a bit after that, but Fiona was hungry so we went to Rol Jui, my favorite restaurant in Chinatown, for lunch.

Little Italy was nearby so we walked through Kensington Market up to College and headed west. Along the way we encountered throngs of Spanish soccer fans celebrating Spain's 1-0 World Cup victory over Paraguay. We had considered eating dinner in Little Italy, but we were too full from lunch which we had finished only a couple hours earlier. So we decided to hop on the Bathurst streetcar and head towards Ontario Place to catch the fireworks show they were scheduled to have there.

On the way we decided to stop at Tim Horton's and grab a small iced coffee. They're having a summer promotion at 99¢ each. Since the fireworks would be starting fairly late Fiona was concerned that Vince's mom would be worried about her. She had been staying at Vince's parents place since she arrived a few weeks ago. Anyway, instead of stressing out about trying to get back to their place on time after the fireworks show finished we decided it would be best just to head back early. Besides I kind of wanted to catch the prelims of UFC 116 which was being broadcast free on Spike that evening. So we called it a day early.

On Sunday we went to CPC. Again we used the TTC Day Pass. Same deal... Fiona came by my condo at Yonge/Eg and we headed down together. Tom was speaking today. His sermon was about Trustworthiness. It was based upon the bible passage on Ananias and Sapphira who sold their land and donated part of the proceeds to the church. But, their sin was claiming they donated the full amount. So they were being deceitful. It's a little more involved than that of course, but I won't get into all that now.

After church I grabbed buns and Fiona grabbed a Vietnamese sandwich in Chinatown and we headed over to College and Yonge to find a seat for the Pride Parade. Normally it's packed there so you have to arrive early. Since the parade is always held on Sunday afternoons sometimes I can't make it. Every other Sunday afternoon I volunteer at Kelly's boarding home (Carter Manor) at King and Dufferin with Rodger Hunter at Boarding Home Ministries. So for the past four years or so I wasn't able to attend the parade.

The Pride Parade is a huge event in Toronto. Normally we get upwards of one million spectators lining the route. It was a great day out this year too. A bit hot, but the sun was shining and the skies were blue. You couldn't ask for anything more.

The parade was fun as usual. It's always very colourful. You see a lot of nakedness all round. And not necessarily good nakedness, but naked, wrinkly, old men and things like that for instance. But, it's all in good fun. There's always a lot of music and dancing. Of course the big, corporate sponsors come out with their floats too. As do many local politicians and other groups promoting their causes. I suppose that's why it's so long now. The whole thing took about 2-1/2 to 3 hours to pass by. We were both feeling at hot and tired by the end.

After the paraded we zipped up Church Street to see the different Pride booths and things that were set up. Then we headed over to Rancho Relaxo at College and Spadina where we ended the day with Mexican food.

No comments:

Post a Comment