Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wheel Trans Update


Not my photo

A couple of weeks ago I wrote that I attended a Wheel Trans information session because I was looking for a job there as a driver. I mentioned they gave us a brief overview of that the job entails and that we had a 40-minute written "City Knowledge Test". As I thought, I did well enough on it to get a call back only a couple business days later (the information session was on a Thursday and I got a phone call Monday morning). It was a lot sooner than I expected. I spoke with the gentleman on the phone for about 5-10 minutes. Perhaps that was another stage of the interview process. He booked me for a face-to-face interview on April 9th.

The interview took place at the TTC employment office on Bathurst north of Dupont. It was conducted by a lady who was in her mid-40's and a fellow who was, perhaps, in his mid-30's. I have to say I found it rather odd. There was no friendly small talk to give us time to warm up to one another as I'd expect at the beginning. The lady was rather rigid and business-like reading a list of questions they ask all interviewees I suspect. I don't even think they had a copy of my résumé on hand. I was asked to bring two copies with me which I gave to them. So, neither of them had any prior knowledge to any of my work or volunteer experience. They pretty much read through it after the interview or thereabouts. As well, neither of them asked what I'd considered the first question anyone would ask - Why do you want to work for us? or Why do you feel you'd be right for the job? I never got to answer any of the questions I had prepared for. Instead they wanted very specific instances of certain things that I either did at work or while volunteering.

I had to admit I was thrown off at the beginning. I began to relax more after the gentleman started asking questions. At the end they were much more cordial and we chatted a little about the sudden cold snap and nonsense like that. I was discussing the interview with another friend of mine and she surmised that it could have been a test to see how I'd react under stress. That idea did cross my mind as I was walking home. Because this job does have the potential to be stressful at times. I'm glad I'm not the only person to think of the possibility of this happening.

Anyway, I'll find out the results in 2 or 3 weeks. Either by phone or mail. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,

    I also was called in for an interview after attending the information session and the 10 minute phone interview. I will agree that it was awkward. The room was very small and i was asked about 25 different work related questions from the same two interviewers. I felt like they treated me like a number becasue it wasn't very personal. I understand its an interview but having a sence of humor goes a long way, which there was none of. Anyways i'm waiting as we speak, the interview was on thursday april 15th and they informed me that i will get a call or a letter in the mail next week or the week after. I'm pretty sure a phone call means you got the job and a letter means you should hit the road and apply next time thier hiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I guess we both felt the same way about the interview. Perhaps all the interviewees did. Perhaps that was the point of it.

    I wish you luck with your bid for employment there. Perhaps we'll see each other at the driver training if things work out for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update - Wheel Trans was a no go for me unfortunately. I have to say I'm disappointed, but not totally surprised based on how my interview went. I really think I could have made a good driver. I don't know exactly what they were looking for, but in my opinion I don't think they made a good decision.

    C'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete