Thursday, April 8, 2010

Trip to the AGO



I went to the Art Gallery of Ontario again last week. My parents had picked up a free pass to go there from the public library. I went a few times last year when my friend forwarded me a free pass by text on my cell phone.

There were a few changes. Some good, some not so good. Most of the exhibits were the same. Of course you can't expect them to chance their permanent collection so much. One new exhibit they had is called This You Call Civilization? by Wangechi Mutu. It featured intricate, collage-based works by the African-born, New York-based artist. This is her first major museum exhibition in North America. It was alright.

As well, the new King Tut exhibition is on. It cost quite a bit more to see that. I didn't go. It would have bugged me not to be able to take photos of it anyway. They closed part of the stairway to the third floor where the exhibit was being held. That limited me to some photo ops of the stairway which is really unique. Though I have to say on my previous trips there I took a ton of shots of the public spaces (which you're allowed to do). So, it wouldn't have been anything new.

I always enjoy going through the Group of Seven and Tom Thompson collections. They're some of my favorite Canadian artists. I like the style they paint in. The colours in their nature scenes are always quite brilliant. I've always liked their portrayals of the Canadian wilderness. Other works I can take a pass on. The top two floors (4th and 5th) are airy and open. They show modern art. It's a nice place to start and work your way down. The 1st and 2nd floor are quite large and a bit maze-like if you're not used to them. By the time you finally finish going through the gallery I'm sure you'll be a bit worn. It's entirely doable in the period of a day or less, unlike the Met or American Museum of Natural History in New York City. They're quite a bit larger. I like the fact you can take pictures throughout those museums/galleries too.

No comments:

Post a Comment