Friday, March 26, 2010

Wheel Trans Information Session


(not my photo)

In January I submitted an application to both work as a driver for the TTC and Wheel Trans. For those of you who don't know Wheel Trans is the city of Toronto bus service for persons with the greatest need for accessible transportation. People who are in wheelchairs or use canes or walkers for instance. They can call for door-to-door service to and from wherever they're going.

Two weeks ago I got a letter in the mail informing me that I had been one of the persons chosen to attended an information session on getting to know more about their operation. There were three things we were supposed to bring. Our driver's license, the letter we received in the mail and a driver's abstract from the Ministry of Transportation (of Ontario) showing our driving record for the past 3-years. I applied on-line to receive that in the mail. Those were some of the most nerve wracking days that I've been through. I only had 12 days from the day I submitted the request until I had to attend the meeting. The information on the Ministry website said it would take 10-15 days to be delivered. So, understandably, I was nervous. I'm happy to report I received my driver's abstract with one day to spare. I knew I'd be cutting it close. Too close for comfort.

The meeting was at the Days Inn on Wilson west of Jane. Registration at 7:30 a.m. Meeting starts at 8:00. Oddly enough it was in the same conference room that our infamous Trader corporate changeover meeting was held. The ones where our new bosses told us our jobs would be safe. Well, that wasn't quite true now was it? Anyway, when I first arrived I was surprised to see so many other applicants. I didn't expect there to be that many. There were mostly men. A varied mix of ethnicities. The age range looked to be on the older side. Perhaps in the mid-40's to mid-50's. I was a little surprised at that.

We were told that there were two sessions - morning and afternoon. So, another similarly sized group would come in after us. In total there probably would be about 250 or so people attending. Though we were chosen from a group of 3,000 applicants. That was supposed to make us feel better. I believe they were considering hiring 40-50 new employees. That's not too bad. Your odds of getting a job were about 1 in 5.

After a short introduction by Michelle, the safety and training coordinator, we were shown a presentation about what working at Wheel Trans involves. It was pretty interesting. The majority of riders (76%) are over 65-years-old. The split between ambulatory (able to walk, albeit with assistance such as a cane or walker) passengers and non-ambulatory passengers (in wheelchairs for example) is almost even with the former coming in at 48% and latter 52%. Most of the trips are made for medical purposes at 56%. Shopping and social trips come next with 15% each. Work/school and visits to group homes bring up the rear with 8% and 6% respectively.

We were given a brief description of the job next. When your day might possibly start or end - as early as 5:00 a.m. and as late as 3:00 a.m. on special days. The different lengths of shifts you might run - 5X 8 hours, 4X 10 hours or 3X 13:20 hours. We were told about the training schedule (should we make it that far) and wages and benefits. Then we were given two tests.

The first test was a short 12 minute one (if I remember correctly). I think it was just to test your read comprehension and written skills. There were three questions. The second was about how you would deal with a customer who was upset because you arrived late to pick them up. the third asked about what the most difficult part of the job would be. The first had something to do with listing the three most important qualities you thought a driver should have or something like that. The second test was longer. It was 40 minutes. It was a city knowledge test. It asked where certain landmarks like hospitals or malls were. There were some questions about what you thought the best route would be to get from one location to another. The last section was probably the best way to score points. It listed various intersections around the GTA. You had to say which direction they were from Yonge and Eglinton (coincidentally where I live). So, for instance, if they wrote "Don Mills and Steeles", you would write NE because that intersection is north of Eglinton and east of Yonge.

I believe I did pretty well on that test. I didn't answer all the questions, but I made it through to the end. From the chatter from the other attendees, not everyone was so pleased. I know it's not nice to take pleasure from the misfortunes of others. But, in this case we're all gunning for the same jobs. So I hope I did better than most. We'll find out pretty soon. If we pass this phase we'll be called for a face-to-face interview, possibly with the safety and training coordinator, Michelle, and an HR person. There are a few more hurdles to cross. I'm hoping I have the legs to clear them.

35 comments:

  1. Thanks Jeff for your story,

    Cuold you please tell me more about the test(first and second).
    If it was Multiple Q & A or not?
    I was told that Map Books was OK and GPS was perrmited?

    John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    The first test was pretty easy. It was about 12 minutes. They asked you three questions. I think it was just to test your reading/comprehension and writing skills. I can't remember all the questions. One question was something like, how would you deal with a rider who was upset at you because you were late.

    The second part was the City Knowledge Test. You have 40 minutes to complete it. It wasn't multiple choice. They ask you questions about were certain streets and landmarks are. You can bring a GPS if you want. I think some people did, but I don't think they worked indoors. You can bring a map book. That's what most people did. It's good if you study where certain streets or landmarks (malls, hospitals etc.) are ahead of time. Then you'll get though the test faster. Quite a few people I spoke to didn't get through the whole test because they ran out of time. You should skip the questions you have trouble with and go through the whole test first. Then go back and try to answer the ones you missed. There are three parts. I think the last part is a good place to pick up a lot of points. In my test they asked you where certain intersections were in relation to Yonge and Eglinton. For instance where is Steeles Avenue and Kennedy in relation to Yonge/Eg? The answer is North East (N/E). Or Lake Shore Road and Bathurst... S/W.

    If you do well enough on these tests they will phone you and conduct a short interview and schedule a face to face interview. That's what killed me. You have to prepare specific work related incidents that happened to you to answer certain questions. I believe they were trying to see how you'd react to different stress-related situations.

    I hope this helps you - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. was there a drug test? or is there at any point?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure. I didn't get that far if there is. I believe you will have to get checked out by a physician at one point. I'm not sure exactly what they'll check you for though.


    Later - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. The medical and drug testing comes after you have been hired. The medical is MTO liceincing stuff and that happens when your upgraded. As for the drug testing they didn't mention what they would be looking for -

    I have recently been hired as a Wheel Trans Operator - have been placed in a "holding pool" and will most like start the training towards the end of the year: November/December - although it could be sooner.

    The telephone interview was a breeze but the panel interview was tough. I felt they were trying to get me angry lol and they did - so when I got the call almost 2 weeks ago I was a little surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info. Congratulations on being accepted for training.

    Yeah, that's what it seemed like to me when I went for the face-to-face interview. It did seem like they were being deliberately difficult. I didn't quite understand what was going on. Maybe that was the test.

    Anyway, I hope your training goes smoothly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just attended the panel interview and found it to be quite pleasant. There were a couple instances where they probed for more information but they did it in a very friendly manner, otherwise, they were busy taking notes.

    I was told that I would hear from them within about 5 days either by phone or by letter. So if I'm understanding correctly, should I be selected, I will be placed in a holding pool for a later date? Does that mean you are hired but must wait until work becomes available?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roxanne,

    I'm happy you had a pleasant interview. I'm not sure what happens if you get selected because I never got that far.

    I'm sure they'll tell you what happens next should you get selected though.

    Good luck with everything ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for all your help

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been hired and gone as far as the medical and drug test, but have not been contacted since. I thought we were going to be contacted 2-3 days after, but haven't been contacted and it's been nearly 2 weeks. Has anyone else had this experience?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on being hired. I'm not sure why there's a delay since I didn't get that far in the application process. Maybe it just takes awhile for them to process the different tests. Though they should have told you exactly how long that would take (and it sounds like they did). Hopefully there isn't a problem. Did you try contacting them to see what the hold up might be?

    Take care ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just curious as to why you didn't print your abstract online when you ordered it. That way, you would have had it right away....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm... I probably didn't know you could do that. Though I don't remember how I ordered it anymore. It was such a long time ago.

    Did you hear back from Wheel Trans? Have you started training? I hope things are going alright.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually I'm very early in the process...just received acknowledgement that they have recieved my resume and that they will contact me within 6 months of the date I sent my application if they are inteested in proceeding with my application. Wish me luck! I know the competition is severe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay. Good luck with the process then. Yeah, I think they can be somewhat picky if you're trying to make it all the way through. Hopefully you'll do well.

    Take care ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. The delay is because of increase in ridership vs new bus problems or so i have heard, so don't worry as soon as they finish getting the new buses on the road to increase capacity, u'll get called

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  17. You also have to take into consideration that the number of Hires they have stated includes drivers that are transferring from Bus/Subway to Wheel Trans. So if they say they are hiring 80 that number includes from within. So less street hires. If they have 20 drivers coming in on transfer that means they only have 60 spaces for street hires and it could mean a longer holding time in the "pool"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why are you complaining about the Ministry of Transportation? If you needed an abstract right away you had the option of going to a license centre or a kiosk. Everything on line takes longer. I went for a school bus license and was able to get abstract right away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have good news. I just received an invitation to the info session and the timed test. I have read your blog and there is allot of good information here and you responded to one of my comments on Nov 3 at 9:11 AM.

    Is there any other advice you can offer on how to study and prepare for this test. I really want to ace it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on being invited to the information session and timed test.

    Someone else asked me for advice on that earlier. Check out what my response was for May 12th, 2010. That should give you an idea of what's on the test and what you might have to study.

    Good luck with everything. Take care - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jeff, thanks for all the information I am getting from your blog. I will be attending the information session very soon and this info will help me going there with some kind of knowledge ahead.

    I will check on your posts later to see if there is more input about these matters.

    Just one more thing, can anyone tell me a little bit more about the " holding pool" ?

    Thanks

    Good by

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jeff,

    Do you remember what the dress code was at the info session and written test? Were most people in jeans, jacket and trousers, collared shirts, casual, business casual?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,

    I don't remember exactly what people wore. I think "Neat and presentable" should be fine. TTC staff will check you in and tell you to go here or there and give presentations and things like that. But, you won't actually have any one on one interaction with any TTC employees there, so no one will probably remember exactly what you're wearing.

    Have a good afternoon - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Jeff. What kind of questions did they ask you in your interview and can you tell me a little bit more on the direction questions that is on the knowledge test.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Jeff: I have an upcoming information session invite and your blog has been very helpful. Thanks to your suggestion, I have been studying the Points of Interest listed on the TTC's website. As I follow the other comments, I realize that this is a very looong process. Good luck to you Jeff and all current applicants in waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't remember all the questions they asked at the interview. If you make it that far someone will call you beforehand and tell you the questions you have to prepare for. I was out and didn't have a chance to write it down. That was a big mistake. I wasn't as prepared as I could have been. If you get the call make sure you write down what the person says about the questions you have to prepare for. Many of them have to do with situations you found yourself in in previous jobs. They want to know how you reacted to these different situations. They want you to tell them actual events that happened too. Not what you think you would do if this or that happened. It has to be something that you actually experienced.

    The direction questions were on the third and last part of the "Information Session" test. They were pretty easy I though. Like I mentioned before they gave you a point of reference (intersection), for my test I believe it was Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue. Then they would give you other intersections like Jane and Finch for instance. All you had to do was tell them where that intersection was in relation to Yonge and Eglinton. That's Northwest of Yonge and Eglinton. If you get it right you get one point for that. That's about it. Not too hard as far as I was concerned. Hopefully the test will be the same for you as it was for me.

    Good luck ~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Jeff, your information is very helpful. I would like to know if in any of the questions asked regarding the knowledge test has to do with navigating a highway route from one point of an intersection to a next.

    Thanks and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jeff, your information is very helpful. Can you please let me know if during the knowlege test, that you have to navigate a highway route from one point to another, like from scarborough to downtown using the highway route.

    Thanks and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi,

    It's been awhile since I took the test, but I believe there were some questions like that. I think it's a good idea to study a map of the GTA and know where important points of interest and the major streets and highways are.

    Take care ~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Jeff,

    Well, I attended the info session last Tues (Dec 7th) and I thought I did well on both tests. I actually completed the 40 min test with time to spare, largely due to your help and the blogs you have been writing (thank you for that).

    I still haven't heard back from the TTC for a potenial phone interview and I am a bit worried b/c you mentioned that you were called 2 days after the test. They did mention, during the session, that they would be calling people between Dec. 13 and the end of Jan/2011 so I am not sure if I have cause to be worried...

    Do you think there is reason for me to be concerned based on what I said?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello,

    I'm happy to hear you think you did well. I wouldn't be too concerned about not getting a call right away if you think you did alright. I suppose it probably takes them some time to do all the calls. Try not to worry about it too much and enjoy the holidays. Hopefully everything will work out alright for you.

    Take care - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Jeff, your blog has been very helpful. I applied to Wheel-Trans and received an acknowledgement letter online. I would like to find out more on some questions about what you thought the best route would be to get from one location to another(As you mentioned in your blog) Is it actually real streets or just random made up maps and you have to figure it out from there?

    Any input on this would greatly assist me. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi,

    They were real streets. It's been awhile since I took the test, but that's what I remember. I think it helps to study some of the main roads around the GTA on the map. You can bring a map book with you. They don't allow foldout maps though. You can bring a GPS device with you. But, I don't think they work indoors as one or two of the participants found out (the hard way).


    Good luck - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just want to ask is the one who did the test last last dec 07 2010 did they call u for interview?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi everyone, so there it was..... after a year of tests, interviews, jobs shadowing assignments, paper work, phone calls, I was finally hired ! At the last minute of documenting session, I had to decline the offer. Couldn't wait that long and got involved in a move inside my actual company where I work and also had a planned vacation on sight. No way they would accept me to come back after my holidays but, not everything is money, I rather enjoy being with Family after so many years that I choose not to work for TTC. Will there be another opportunity?, I don't know, but I think this was my last try and my last chance. Good luck to everyone who still think TTC is the best way to go.

    ReplyDelete