Friday, April 29, 2016

The Meaning of Life


One of my friends was lamenting about his situation in life and asked aloud what the meaning of it was. I didn't have an answer for him then and I still don't. Though when I thought about it recently I questioned, why does there have to be meaning behind it?

When I got home I looked up some quotes on the subject and a number of authors seem to agree with my point of view.

“Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.” 
― Joseph Campbell

“There is not one big cosmic meaning for all; there is only the meaning we each give to our life, an individual meaning, an individual plot, like an individual novel, a book for each person.” 
― Anaïs Nin, The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934

“You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.” 
― Albert Camus

Live your life. Don't be concerned about why you are here, for what will that accomplish? You may be rich, you may be poor. You may be smart, you may obtuse. These things won't necessarily shape your destiny unless you let them. Perseverance and hard work count for a lot.

So, take the bull by the horns and point it in the direction you want to go and hang on for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment