Wednesday, March 30, 2016

White Running Shoe

I was making a delivery to a dental office at Bramalea City Centre Mall this afternoon. On my way out I passed a small store near the entrance/exit. Inside I noticed a 40-something-year-old gentleman in a motorized wheelchair. His left shoe had just fallen off.

I saw he was able to reach down and pick it up off the floor. But, instead of putting it back on, he left it on his lap. It was obvious to me that he was unable to perform this task on his own. And no one around seemed to want to offer him any assistance either. What to do?

To me, the answer was obvious. I could have gone on my merry way leaving him to go shoeless the rest of the day. Or I could go over and help him put his shoe back on. Of course, that's what I decided to do. But, first, I wanted to drop my things off at the truck (which was only seconds away).

Upon my return I found he had exited the store. I was a bit surprised because I had been gone less than 30 seconds. I looked up and down the aisle, but didn't see him. Luckily, when I turned around, I noticed him by the pay phones at the exit. So I walked over and asked him if I could help.

It only took a few moments to unfasten the velcro straps on his shoe and slip it back onto his foot. But the warm feeling of being able to lend a hand lasted much longer. It's the simple acts of kindness that, when performed, can make someone's day a little brighter. I think that's something we should definitely try hard not to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment