Tuesday, January 6, 2015

BabyMetal


Last week while listening to CBC Radio in the truck I was introduced to a new band from two genres of music I've never really been very keen on - Speed Metal and J-pop. That being said, this odd mix of uniqueness piqued my interest.

BabyMetal was formed out of Japan back in 2010. They consist of 17-year-old singer/dancer, Su-Metal (Suzuka Nakamoto), 15-year-old, "screamer"/dancer, YuiMetal (Yui Mizuno), 15-year-old, "screamer"/dancer, MoaMetal (Moa Kikuchi) as well as Kami Band members Takayoshi Ohmura and Leda on guitar, Boh on bass and Yuya Maeta on drums.

I can't really describe their music any more than what I said above - that it's a combination of speed metal and J-pop. You have to see it to appreciate it.

In 2014 they hit #1 on Billboard's World Albums chart and even made it up to #187 on the Billboard 200. Besides concerts in Japan, they opened five dates of Lady Gaga's ArtRave: The Artpop Ball tour and have had concerts in Los Angeles, New York and Montreal in North America and Paris, Cologne and the U.K. in Europe.

I don't know if I like them because the girls are super cute; I have a penchant for all things Japanese (they sing in Japanese); or the music is super weird/unique. Either way they rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment