Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Metro Toronto Zoo


I went to the Toronto Zoo with my sister a couple of Saturdays ago. She has a family pass. In October the Zoo had a promotion where you could take a guest for free. On this particular day that guest was me.

I rarely go to the Zoo. Mostly because it costs so much. A typical adult admission is $28. The last time I went was in March of 2012. I had a voucher I bought from Groupon or one of those similar merchants.

The reason it was so cheap was because it was the off season. We pretty much saw nothing going through the African section. The only animals I saw outside there were the lions, cheetahs and hyenas.

This time it was better. We went on a partially overcast fall day. I was hoping to get a few more outdoor shots of the colourful trees, but that didn't happen. I always take such a long time taking photos and I didn't want to keep my sister waiting any longer than necessary.

We started in the Indomalaya section and went clockwise from there. While there we saw the Indian Rhinoceros, some butterflies, tigers and a couple of bored orangutans.

Next was the African Savanna section. The first animals we saw there were a young giraffe and an older one (its mother, perhaps?). We actually got there at feeding time. One of the keepers hand fed the adult, while the youngster preferred the hay placed in the feeder.

As well as the giraffes, we saw cheetahs, lions, a white rhinoceros, baboons, gazelles, zebra and hippo (among others). This section was the largest.

I have to say, we skipped the Canadian Domain... I mean, we live in Canada already. It's not like the animals there are rare and exotic.

In the Americas Outdoor exhibit we saw the flamingos and the rare Black-handed spider monkey. The flamingos were pretty. I don't know why they couldn't just fly away. The monkeys swung around a bit like monkeys tend to do.

We also saw two jaguars there. They were cute. There was a traditional tan-coloured one with black spots as well as an all-black one. They played around with each other like big house cats, rolling around and licking each other and stuff.

In the Tundra Trek section we saw the European reindeer, Arctic fox and polar bears. I believe the young bear we saw was Humphrey. He's around two-years-old I think. I first saw him a couple of years ago when he was a cub. He was really adorable then.

The second last exhibit we saw was the most special. It was the Giant Pandas. There were two of them - Er Shun (the female) and Da Mao (the male). They were kept separate. I don't know who was who.

The first one we saw was kind of far off at the back side of its pen behind some of its play apparatus. The second one was situated more in the open, walking around its pen. Everyone had a good view of it, so that was cool.

We finished off in the Australasia section. There we saw a lone Komodo dragon, some seahorse and jellyfish in the indoor section. Outdoors we saw some wallabies and kangaroos.

It was a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Nice to get a walk in, see some interesting animals and take a few shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment