Thursday, January 30, 2014

IDS14 - Interior Design Show


My friend, Rob, gave me a ticket to the Interior Design Show for this past weekend. His hardwood flooring company had a small booth there. I thought they might be there, so I asked if he had any tickets.

I like interior design. In fact, I like all design. From graphic design to product design to architecture, it all interests me.

The show was at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. I took the subway from my condo to Union Station and walked across the Skywalk to get there. Other than the minute or so it took to walk from my place to the subway station I was inside the rest of the time. That was nice. I avoided having to bundle up to keep the cold at bay.

This was probably my second or third time attending the show. There's a lot of high end furniture and appliances and other things there. It's neat to look at and get ideas. But, of course, I'd never be able to afford half of it.

To show my appreciation for the free ticket from Rob's company I did a bit of reconnaissance work for them. There were a couple of new flooring companies they wanted to get the low down on.

Since most of them know each other they sent me to gather info. I pretended to be interested in buying flooring and got some brochures and prices to pass along to Ian and Michael. It was all very clandestine. Especially since one of the companies was exhibiting directly across from them.

I gathered the info then met Michael behind another exhibitor's display and passed it secretly along to him. Just like KGB spies.

I'm not sure if this show was as interesting as the others I've attended. I didn't find I got quite as excited this time.

The free Haagen Dazs strawberry ice cream from the Jenn-Air Home Appliances was yummy. That was the only free sample I took. There were other things like gourmet coffee and stuff that other exhibitors gave away as well. But, I felt kind of funny mooching too much stuff.

Anyway, I spent about 4-1/2 hours there walking around taking pictures and things. All in all, a nice way to spend a frigid January afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment