Sunday, January 5, 2014

Deep Freeze = Dead Battery


Okay, I have to admit it... it probably was my fault. I probably should have replaced my car battery sooner, but I didn't. My car wasn't starting cleanly, but it was still starting. That was until the recent deep freeze we had here in Toronto.

The first sign of trouble was when I was leaving work on Thursday. My car had been sitting outside in the cold all day. The engine barely turned over. I thought to myself, should I head home (to my warm condo garage) or should I go over to my sister's place for dinner like I promised my mother. I made the wrong decision and went over to my sister's house.

The temperature that evening dropped even more. After hanging out at my sister's for a few hours I decided to leave. My car had other ideas.

I called my parents who live nearby and my dad came over with the jumper cables to try and give my car a boost. If the battery was dead I was sure it would work.

We had to rearrange my car on the driveway so it would be face to face with my father's car which we were going to use to charge mine. I put mine in neutral and pushed it a few feet so my father could pass by and turn his car around.

After we were both positioned properly we hooked the booster cables up and I cranked the ignition. Nothing. It was the same as before. It was like we didn't even hook the cables up. I was dumbfounded. What could it be?

We struggled mightily to push my car out onto the street so my dad could leave to go home. It was freezing cold out and really slippery. Hard to get traction with your boots. It made pushing that much harder.

I called CAA next. It was about 10:00 p.m. by now. According to the news they had been inundated with calls due to the weather. I was put on hold for a long time.

When I finally got through I told the operator the problem. I mentioned it was probably the battery, but I thought it also could be something else. So I requested a tow truck instead of the guy who just comes to charge batteries.

I also had to think about where to take my car if it needed to be towed. The closest mechanic I know is by Victoria Park and Eglinton, close to where I work. It's the place my boss takes the work delivery vehicles to get serviced.

But, I know many places can't do diagnostics on my particular vehicle if that's what it needs. If that were the case I would need to get towed to Courtesy Chevrolet on the Queensway near Sherway Gardens. It's much further, by they're the only place that has the particular software to do an engine check for my car.

Anyway the CAA operator told me I could expect the tow truck driver to come by by 1:30 a.m. (at the latest I assumed).

Next I called my parents. I asked my dad if I could borrow the car in case I did need the tow to the mechanic's. I would need a way to get back home late at night. I said to leave the car key by the door and I would pick them up if needed. Then I settled down with a book at my sister's place for the wait.

Well, 1:30 a.m. came and went. So did 2:00 and 3:00 a.m. I knew they were busy and that they were prioritizing calls for people who were stuck outside in the bitter cold first. I guess they knew I was waiting inside so I was probably bumped down on the list.

Now I was bunked on the narrow sofa in my sister's living room. I had put the book away long ago and was trying to catch some Zzzz's. I had put my cell phone which was at hand ready for the call on the coffee table and decided I should try to get some sleep. I thought they had forgotten about me and decided I would call them back in the morning. It would be better then because the garage would actually be open and I wouldn't have to leave my car there and come back again. And public transit would be running if I needed to get back home.

To my surprise I got a call at around 5:15 a.m. (I'm guessing... I was still a bit groggy when I answered). I believe it was an automated message from CAA saying they were sorry about the delay and that the tow truck driver would be around in 45. I was to be ready for his arrival at that time with my CAA membership card.

I think the driver arrived about 6:00 a.m. He hooked up his booster cables and I tried the engine. Again, nothing. I was so disappointed. But, I wasn't totally unprepared for that result. After a less than restful night I thought it would be a few more hours before I'd be able to return home to sleep.

The driver told me to go wait inside my sister's place for 10 minutes. He wanted to give the battery some more time to recharge. So I went inside fully expecting to come out 10 minutes later and drive to the mechanic's.

When I reemerged 10 minutes later I was totally shocked to see exhaust fumes coming out of the back of my car. The tow truck driver had managed to resurrect it. I was so happy.

I gave him a wave as he drove off and, after a minute or two of letting my car warm up, I left for home as well.

Next stop Canadian Tire for a new battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment