Thursday, November 7, 2013

The National Women's Show


My friends from Nadurra had a booth at The National Women's Show at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre over the first weekend of November. While I couldn't help them set up because of work, I was able to help them tear down.

Michael asked me to come by at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday (the time the show was over). So, after church, I hung out downtown a bit with Yeon Hui. We dropped by the Umbra store down on Queen and John before heading over to the Chapters by the Scotiabank Theatre.

While there I showed her my trip photos from New York City, Chicago and Washington on her new iPad. She's interested in going to New York City and maybe some other places.

After looking through the shots I still had a bit of time to kill. So we walked over to Marshalls, the relatively new discount fashion store from the States. It's just south of Chapters on John Street. Yeon Hui bought some winter boots there. They were a bit big, but they looked nice and were warm. They said you had until January 12th of 2014 to return them if you wished. So we may check some other locations to see if they have her size (7).

By then it was nearing 5:00 p.m. So we walked to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. That's where we parted ways.

I got an Exhibitor pass from the show office to get in just before closing time. I was wondering why I couldn't have just walked in since it was so close to finishing.

When I saw Michael at their booth he said I was early. It turns out my stupid Wind Mobile phone didn't change over to Day Light Savings Time like everyone else's and I was an hour early. It did the same thing last year only changing later in the day.

Anyway, now I had an hour to kill. I figured I could take a nap somewhere, but I thought I'd take a look around instead.

I have to admit I felt like a fish out of water. It was weird walking around in a place where just about everything was geared towards women. It was kind of like the time I mistakenly walked into the teenage girls' fashion store Forever XXI at Yonge and Dundas. Previously it had been a GAP, but they changed hands and renovated really quickly a few years back. I walked in and got really confused because I couldn't find the guys clothing section.

One good thing about The National Women's Show was there were a number of food vendors who were more than happy to give free samples out. I had some Greek yogurt, some pizza and sampled some curry sauce on rice that was too spicy for me.

The weirdest thing was the so called "fashion show" starring the buff Toronto fire fighters from the annual fire fighters calendar. They were supposed to be showing off clothing from Marks Work Warehouse. But, all they were really doing was strutting around showing their muscles to hooting and hollering ladies. It was pretty funny.

All-in-all it was a pretty good spy mission for me. Now I know what women are really interested in... well... not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment