Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Old People Can't Drive.


Perhaps I should qualify my statement... Old people can't drive well.

I'll give you an example. I was out making deliveries for Sid a week ago in Oakville. I had just finished dropping some hot towels off at a dental office and was making my way back to the van which was parked in a medium sized parking lot of, perhaps, 100 spots.

As I was getting into the van an elderly lady in a minivan pulled up. She wanted to park in the empty spot beside me.

I thought she might wait until I left before she tried parking, but she didn't. The spot was tight especially since she was pulling in going forward. That's because the back end of your vehicle has a tighter turning radius than your front when you park that way. It's always much easier to back into a tight spot.

Anyway, as I was sitting in the GMC I watched her trying to pull into the spot beside me. It wasn't even close. She barely got the front of her minivan into the spot before the side of her vehicle touched the front-right bumper of Sid's van. That didn't seem to concern her.

She kept going totally ignoring the crunching sound the side of her minivan was making as it was scraping noisily against the GMC's hard, steel bumper. She only stopped when she literally couldn't move anymore (because her minivan was wedged so very tightly against the front bumper of Sid's van).

At this point I would have licked my wounds and tried to back out accepting whatever damage was done. She didn't. Instead she hit the gas, squealing her tires, forcing her way into the parking spot doing even more damage to her vehicle. That's how badly wedged up against Sid's van that she had to literally squeal her tires to get it to move. Incredible.

After that she got out and came up to me and said she thought she had more room than she did to get into the parking spot. Ob-vi-ous-ly not, lady.

Now I have to say, Sid's van is quite old and beat up. It has bumps, scratches and dings from many, many years on the road. A little more green paint on the bumper only gives it more character. If it were any other vehicle I'm sure this old lady would have done a thousand dollars damage to it at the very least. She got lucky. The only thing she had to worry about was the four or five foot long, Godzilla-like claw marks along the side of her minivan. Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment