Monday, April 15, 2013

Midas Auto on O'Connor Drive


I bought a voucher from one of those online companies for 3 oil changes for $35 (plus $5 disposal fee each time) at Midas Auto on O'Connor Drive in Toronto. As well as the oil changes you could have other inspections and diagnostic tests done (supposedly for free).

One of the extra services on the voucher was a free tire rotation. Since winter is all but over my sister asked me if I could go get her all seasons put back on. Normally I go to a Chinese place in Markham where they do it for $20. But I thought I might go over to the Midas Auto to see if I could get it done there since I had the coupon.

Now, technically, a tire rotation isn't exactly the same as changing winter tires to all seasons or vice versa, but, really, it's pretty much the same. Instead of taking the tires off and rotating them from front to back (or whatever they do), they would have to take the old tires off and put on the ones from the trunk of the car. Still, I thought I'd call ahead to see if they would do it.

When I got the guy on the phone there he told me there would be a $20 surcharge if you had the coupon or it would be $30 otherwise. He mumbled something about it being extra work saying they had to "take the tires out of the bag" (the ones from the trunk of the car) or something ridiculous like that. Are you kidding me? You're going to charge someone an extra $20 for taking tires out of a bag? I thought, if you're going to try and scam somebody like that then I'll just take my business elsewhere. So I went to my regular place and had it done there.

I'm going to have to deal with this Midas service centre again for the oil changes. I just hope they don't try to add on all sorts of mystery surcharges charges or recommend any unnecessary work. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Did you end up going back? How was the service?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamil. I haven't gone back yet. I should return soon before my voucher expires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents went there for the winter maintenance package; they called my dad and told him there was other things they wanted to work on and my dad said no. They went and did it anyway and charge my elderly parents 1600 dollars for work they did not approve. We have been fighting with their head office and the location ever since. They had promised to give a cheque to refund the difference and then reneged when we tried to collect it. NEVER go there, they prey on elderly.

    ReplyDelete