Wednesday, April 24, 2013

FoodShare Fundraiser


My friend and I attended a fundraiser for FoodShare here in Toronto (Bloor and Dufferin area). It was in memory of our former co-worker, Shelagh Gordon, who passed away a year ago from a brain aneurysm.

The fundraiser was supposed to be a lunch that ran from 12 noon to 4:00 p.m. What I didn't realize was that it was to be a sit down lunch and that everyone would be served. So I made plans to go with my friend after church and after I had had lunch in Chinatown. We didn't arrive there until about 2:30. Just in time to have dessert.

When I first went in I saw a couple of former co-workers, Sue Norman and Nancy Lutz. They were a couple of the original Auto Trader photographers/salespeople from when I first started back in 1989. As well, Dave Wilson, (another one of the original Trader photographers/salespeople) was there as was Shelagh's sister Heather Cullimore and brother-in-law Jay Cullimore. Those two were also photographers/salespeople, but they started later.

It was great seeing them all again and catching up. Sue has been doing a variety of things since she left Trader seven years ago. If I remember correctly she said she ran a bicycle touring company for awhile and was also involved with trade shows (I have such a bad memory). Nancy is involved with interior design. She mentioned something about her company importing Scavolini kitchens. Jay is involved with some former Trader employees who publish other magazines. And Dave is one of the very few original Trader employees still there. He's been there for 34 years so far. Incredible.

It was a wonderful, unexpected surprise to see them. Out of the bunch only Nancy and Dave are on Facebook. So I haven't seen or heard from most of them in at least 5-10 years I believe (I left in the summer of 2009).

No comments:

Post a Comment