Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Water, O how I take thee for Granted


After playing floor hockey at Cornerstone Sports Night a couple of Mondays ago I arrived home shortly before 11:00. Instead of jumping straight into the shower I returned a missed call to one of my friends. We ended up chatting a bit longer than both of us probably intended. After hanging up I went to wash up.

I went to my ensuite shower and turned the tap and... nothing. No water... not a drip. That's when I remember... they turned off all the water in our condo for maintenance at 11:00 p.m. and weren't going to turn it back on until 5:00 a.m. the next morning. Oh my goodness!

After the feeling of self-pity dissipated, I started thinking about how much we take having running water for granted. When you don't have something, that it is when you really value it. I couldn't wash my hands, brush my teeth, flush the toilet... nothing. And I was only inconvenienced for a few hours.

I thought about the folks in New York and New Jersey that were affected by Super Storm Sandy. They were without water and power for days. I thought about people in developing countries who have to walk great distances to wells or rivers to get their water. It's such a precious commodity to them while we just flush it down the toilet without giving it a second thought. How crazy is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment