Sunday, October 14, 2012

Nuit Blanche 2012


Scotia Bank Nuit Blanche was a couple of Saturdays ago (September 29th). Normally it's the first Saturday in October. This was the first year it was in September. One noticeable difference from moving the date up was the temperature. It was much warmer this year which was great.

I started the evening at 7:30 p.m. This year I decided to drive down to my church and park and go from there. One reason I did this was because I had to visit the boarding home the following afternoon and I knew there were going to be road closures around the church for a 5 km fundraising run the next morning.

I had planned my evening out a week ahead of time. It took quite a bit of time. This year I decided to concentrate on covering the downtown core (Dundas Street to the north, Front Street to the south, Spadina to the west and Yonge to the east). In previous years I stretched it out too far (from The Distillery District in the east to Liberty Village in the west) and was quite tired afterwards. Too much walking.

My first stop was the AGO. It was the installation closest to my church. I have to say most of the installations were alright. I don't know if I can say I really liked one installation over another. For me it's the night as a whole that I count as my experience. Just wandering the city from one area to another as the hours pass taking lots and lots of pictures. Fun.

In total I saw about 30 installations. I'm counting all the ones in the underground parking lot at Toronto City Hall as one (even though, officially, I believe there were five or six there).

I stayed out for eleven hours returning to my car at 6:30 a.m. Most things were shut down by then. I tried to get some sleep, but the sun was coming up.

Lillian ,who was working in the church office that morning, came and woke me up a bit before 9:00. I was parked in the wrong spot. So I moved to the Steel Workers Union lot. But, the folks from the Russian church who use the outside lot started coming in for their early morning service so I didn't get much rest there either. Oh well.

You can check out my photos here. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment