Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Memorial Service


I attended a memorial service this past Friday for our neighbour Mr. Reeve (Kevan John Reeve). He was father to Richard and Lynn, and husband to Joan. They lived in the house next door to my parents where my sister and I grew up. He had been ill for some time and passed away last October 14th, 2011.

The service was held at the Church of the Ascension on Overland Drive on the opposite side of The Donway from where we lived. I attended with my parents and sister.

Richard gave a tribute to his father telling us of his life, how he met his wife, what he liked to do and how he raised his family. That got me thinking; if I were in his position, what would I say?

My father has always been a quiet guy. Probably a bit like me growing up, shy. He never took the spotlight preferring to stay in the background. More like the supporting cast while my mother was the star in raising our family.

I don't remember doing a lot of things with my dad growing up. I do remember playing baseball with him at the local schoolyard when I was young.

I believe it was my mother who brought me out to most of my activities like skating or swimming lessons. Either that or I walked there on my own. We were pretty self sufficient in that respect. We never worried about child predators or anything like that when I was growing up. It was a different era.

My dad was the breadwinner of the family while my mother was the stay at home mom who doted on her children. So while I don't remember doing many things with my father, I know both he and my mother always supported my sister and I.

Among other things, my parents helped me buy my first home. I know if I ever needed any help financially speaking they'd be there. And, of course, if they needed any help in the same way they know they could count on me.

So that's how I would portray my father... as someone who played an integral part in raising his family, but who never took the limelight. Preferring, instead, to stay in the background a proud supporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment