Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Santa Claus Parade



I went to the Santa Claus Parade for the first time in I don't know how long after church today. Well... I don't know if I could really say I went to the parade... it was more of a passing glance.

The Santa Claus Parade is always held on a Sunday. So normally I'll be at church in the morning. After that I always go eat lunch in Chinatown. That's my normal routine. The problem is for most of the parades in Toronto, if you want to get a good spot you have to arrive early (which I didn't).

This year Tony, Iris and her brother Tae Hoon decided to go too. Like I mentioned we went to have lunch at our usual haunt, Rol Jui, beforehand. For some reason, this week, the food took longer than normal to arrive.

Since Tony was planning on meeting some international students to watch the parade together he had to take off early. Iris and her brother waited a bit longer, but they decided to get take out and eat while watching the parade too. One of their dishes didn't arrive by the time they wanted to leave. So I brought it over to them after I finished eating.

When I was done at Rol Jui I walked over to Dundas and University where Tony found me from his perch upon the stairs at the CIBC Banking Centre (on the northwest corner). I gave them their food and joined them there.

Iris told me Tae Hoon was across the street on the east side. He was closer to the action (as the parade was going down that side of University Avenue), but we had a higher vantage point.

I don't believe Tony and Iris managed to meet any of the other international students. Some were blocked up at Bloor Street where the parade had begun earlier in the day. A couple of others came by to say, hi. I think they were a bit bored and decided to leave.

I have to say, it wasn't so interesting for me either, having gone to other parades such as Pride. I guess I'm "all grown up" now and Santa and the commercialized side of Christmas has lost some of its magic for me.

Anyway, I thought I should still try to catch it. Just because it's a longstanding part of the history of Toronto. As a long time resident here I don't think I always appreciate all the culture and traditions our city has to offer. I think I should try to see it through new eyes like visitors and people new to Toronto often do. That way I'll enjoy where I live even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment