Thursday, November 3, 2011

Is Technology an Intrusion in our Lives?


Not my image

To Tweet or not to Tweet. To text or not to text. Why do we do it? Why do people feel the need to be in constant contact with one another lest a moment pass without us knowing what the other is up to? Is what any one of us doing at any particular point in time that important that we feel the need to broadcast it to the world? Does anyone really care that you're bored in chemistry class or about the new pair of Uggs you bought at Town Shoes or who your newest BFF is? Will the world stop turning if we stop Tweeting? Of course not.

So why the undying devotion to Twitter and texting and whatever else the gods of technology have blessed us with to keep our fingers busily typing away? Is this nothing more than a security blanket to let us know our friends are nearby and that they care about every single thing that we do? Are we comforted by the fact that someone, anyone out there, is somewhat interested in what happens in our lives? Does it validate us? Gives our meager existence meaning? Perhaps to some people it does.

For me... I just don't get it. It's a phenomenon I don't understand. Perhaps I'm getting old. The world is leaving me in its dust. In this case I can't say I care much. Tweet away my friends. As for me... I'll catch up with you at lunch next week and you can tell me what you've been up to face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment