Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Opening a Can of Whoop Ass!



Ouch!

I took this series of shots on the third day of the 10th World Wushu Championships currently being held here in Toronto, Canada. I believe this is the mens' 90+ kg class Sanshou competition (hand to hand combat fighting). Points are given for punches and kicks to certain areas like the head. As well, you can get points for throwing a competitor to the ground or knocking him off the mat. There are three 2-minute rounds. Whoever wins the most rounds is declared the winner of the match. Of course, you can also win by doing what this Chinese competitor did to the Brazilian one. About one or two seconds after the match began the Chinese fellow landed a high kick to the side of the head, and, boom, lights out, it was over.

It was pretty interesting to see. There were a lot more injuries than I thought there would be. The ambulance attendants certainly earned their pay this day. In about half the matches I saw the loser was carted off on a stretcher. Some injuries were minor like a kick to the back of the leg that rendered the competitor unable to stand. Other times it was a bit more serious when the loser lay motionless for a little while.

There are other less violent categories of competition as well. From what I gather there are two main types - Taolu and Sanshou. Taolu is more a demonstrative, not combative competition. Competitors show their form in front of the judges in one of four categories - Barehanded, Short Weapon, Long Weapon and Duilian. Within the first three categories there are sub-categories. I believe different techniques or different weapons are used. In Duilian you perform with one or two other teammates in front of judges. I watched the Taolu Men's Changquan (barehanded competition) and the Taolu Women's Qiangshu (long weapon - spear) too.

It was cool. I'll have to thank my uncle for the ticket the next time I see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment