Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Shiso Tree Restaurant


A day following the disappointing meal at h bar, Gabe, Daphne and I went to Shiso Tree in J-Town on Steeles, east of the 404. I have to say the meal there was much better.

It was my first time there and I had no idea what to expect. I believe I was expecting traditional Japanese fare like sashimi or sushi, but they served pasta with a Japanese twist.

The restaurant itself is quite utilitarian. It's rather plain-looking with simple tables and chairs and empty walls (save the Daily Specials menus). It's the food that's the star of the show.

Gabe had the Shrimp Okonomiyaki - Spaghetti sautéed with bacon, onions and garlic dressed with shrimp, homemade steak sauce, Japanese mayonnaise and Bonito fish flakes - $14.00.

Daphne had the daily special. It was homemade bow tie pasta dyed black with squid ink. It was served with a tomato-based sauce, with a piece of dried ham (I believe) - $22.00.

I had Unagi-Don - Cream teriyaki sauce and Shimeji mushrooms with Japanese barbecued eel and garnished with nori and shiso - $17.00. It was very good.

We followed the meal up with dessert. Gabe and I got a couple of pieces of cake which they got from the bakery across the way (Bakery Nakamura) - $6.00/ea. Daphne had the Matcha Azuki Crepe - Homemade crepe with Japanese red bean and green tea creme sauce, topped with vanilla ice dream and fresh whipped cream - $9.00. All quite tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment