Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Grand Prix Kartways with Gabe and Lewis


Another activity I did after returning from Alberta was going go-karting with Gabe and Lewis. Lewis has now returned home to Hong Kong, but while he was still here Peter was trying to think of things he might like to do, so Gabe made the suggestion.

On Friday, July 10th we went to Grand Prix Kartways in Downview Park. Gabe found out about while there for Doors Open Toronto one year. It's an indoor venue which is fine because the carts are electric powered not gas.

When we first got there we watched a few races before actually trying it out. It looked pretty neat, but it's a bit expensive if you pay full price.

We decided to go for the 2-race package. I believe it cost about $40 plus tax. One race might have cost about $25 plus tax. There's also an unlimited 6-hour package available. It's around $60 plus tax. Though, on Groupon, you can purchase the 6-hour package for $29.99.

After signing up and purchasing our race tickets we got a short introduction by the staff to the carts. Lewis was a bit nervous because he's never driven anything before (since he's only 14). After that we grabbed our helmets and hopped in our carts.

Each race has six racers. In our first race I started in 4th position while Lewis and Gabe started 5th and 6th. We were told not to bump into the other racers, but one girl who wasn't with our group didn't quite get the idea.

The organizers (who are able to stop all the cars remotely) stopped everyone a number of times in order to issue her multiple warnings. I was one of her victims which was pretty annoying. Eventually I left her in the dust ending up second. In this race I believe Lewis might have come third while Gabe came last.

In our second race I was lucky enough to start in pole position (1st). It thought I was a guaranteed lock to win and was able to hold the lead for 13 of 18 laps before getting bumped and passed by a more experienced racer (who I believe had a faster car).

In the end I came second nearly getting caught by Gabe who started in 3rd. He maintained his starting position, while Lewis dropped from 2nd to either 5th or 6th. I think Lewis and I had slower cars this race while Gabe's was a quicker one.

Anyway, it was really fun. I enjoyed it. If anyone is interested in going again I'd suggest buying a voucher from Groupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment