Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Japan - Capsule Hotel Shinjuku 510


It was probably around 4:00 p.m. when I arrived at the capsule hotel. I took the subway to Higashi-Shinjuku station (F12). From there it was about 5-10 minute walk west. I had to ask directions, but it wasn't too bad. It's located near the Okubo Hospital, so I just asked people where that was.

When I got to the hotel I saw a sign saying that it was for "Women Only". I went in and the young lady there repeated that. I was quite worried and showed her my reservation. In broken English she told me the men's location was around the building and up the stairs. My goodness, I was relieved. I thought that I had no place to stay in Tokyo.

I checked in at the hotel. It's more of a customary Japanese establishment. You take your shoes off when you get in. There are individual shoe lockers for everyone right there. I was given some towels and a key (617) for my locker (because there's no other place to store your stuff being that you're staying basically in a long, plastic tube).

After putting my stuff in the locker I took a look around. The first thing I wanted to do was take a shower. I couldn't find the shower on my floor. So I went back downstairs (to the second floor) and asked one of the staff members there. He didn't speak much English, but he was very helpful.

He showed me the bathing room for the men. It's like they have at a traditional Onsen (Japanese hot springs). There are a bunch of little, plastic stools in front of a shower head on a hose along with all the shampoo and soap and other items that you could use for bathing. You sit on the stool and do your business. There's also a large hot tub for relaxing in and smaller pool with cool water that you can use nearby.

The fellow gave me a light blue robe and shorts and told me to go upstairs to change and come back down to use the facilities. That's how it worked here. I had no idea.

It was a little weird washing up with a bunch of mostly older, naked guys. But, I got used to it. And the hot tub was great. I was so tired and sore from walking so much. It was amazing to sit in the pool and let all the weariness melt away.

I took a nap in my capsule afterwards before heading out to see the nightlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment