Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Day with Kerry


Kerry and Reggie

I had lunch with Kerry like I normally do after church a few Sundays ago. Sometimes Tony and Iris and whoever else happened to be at church on that particular Sunday would come too. This week Tony and Iris were away at International Student Christmas Camp. So it was just Kerry and I.

When we got there we saw Reggie. He attends the Baptist church nearby. Normally when he comes he comes much later, so we were surprised to see him at this time.

I always enjoy lunch at Rol Jui. I think the food is great. And it's a good deal. Lately I've been rotating between two dishes I like to have - the assorted meat chow mein and beef on rice noodles. I can't remember exactly what it's called. It's $6 for a big plate; tax and tip included.

After this particular meal I asked Kerry and Reggie if I could take a picture of them. I happened to have my camera with me because in the afternoon I wanted to take some shots around the city. I only have one shot of Reggie with his sister, Renu, and one other friend. I took that another time they were here having lunch. I'm not sure if I have a picture of Kerry or not. I think it's something I should have. I need keepsakes of all my friends. Memories shape me.

Originally I had intended only on going to Nathan Philips Square and the Eaton Centre to take some shots after lunch. But, Lillian Mizutani mentioned a Christmas market they had going on in the Distillery District. So I thought I'd head over there too.

Kerry and I took the long way. He wanted to show me the redevelopment they were doing along Dundas in Regent Park. They knocked down a lot of the older buildings there and where putting new ones up for the residents. Coincidentally I saw Patricia Elkerton leading a group of young people on a Sandwich Run while we were out. They were on their way back to the Salvation Army building at Shuter and River Streets where they started.

The Distillery District was cool. Even though we arrived quite late in the day things well still hopping. In fact it was really crowded. We had trouble squeezing through the mass of visitors there. It was a great photo op for me. You can check out my photos here.

Afterwards I wanted to go over to Nathan Philips Square and the Eaton Centre. Again we took the long way. We walked down to the waterfront to see the new port lands development. They're redeveloping a huge swath of land down there. I'm estimating its northern boundary is around King Street and it goes to the waterfront. The east west boundaries are the Don River out to around Jarvis Street. It's both ambitious and impressive.

The Eaton Centre was neat. They set up these large, lit deer sculpture throughout the mall. I spent about half an hour there taking shots.

Next was City Hall. We were there for about 20 minutes while I took shots of the skaters on the rink and all the Christmas lights that were set up around Nathan Philips Square.

We ended the evening off at Korean Grill House at Yonge and Dundas. They have a late night all-you-can-eat special for $8.99. I thought it started at 9:00 p.m., but I was incorrect. Unfortunately we had to wait until 10:00 for it to take effect (which we did by going to the Atrium on the Bay to hang out for half an hour to kill the time).

Upon our return we ordered 7 dishes of raw meat to BBQ. I think Kerry's eyes were far bigger than his stomach. Either that or he underestimated how much meat was on each dish. Because he ordered four more dishes each for us (2-beef, 2-pork, 2-chicken and 2-fish). That was an insane amount of food which, of course, he couldn't finish. So it was up to me to try. Fortunately they kicked us out because they were closing so I was lucky (kind of).

No comments:

Post a Comment